Clean Capture System
Capturing applications with Turbo Studio requires a clean system environment to ensure that all required files, registry, and dependencies for the target application are included in the final application package.
A clean environment is one where the base OS is installed, then the latest updates are applied. No other applications or runtimes should be installed. If applications have been installed, uninstalling them does not revert the system back to a clean state.
It is recommended to use a virtual machine with snapshot capability for this purpose because it is easy to reset it back to a snapshot with a clean state in order to capture multiple applications quickly.
Preparing a Clean System
Install the Windows OS.
In most cases, this would be the latest build of Windows 10, unless your applications can only be installed on an earlier operating system such as Windows 7 or XP.
Use Windows Update to apply the latest updates to the system.
Disable the following services from the Services console (services.msc):
- Microsoft Store Install Service = Disabled
- Microsoft Edge Elevation Service = Disabled
- Microsoft Edge Update Service (edgeupdate) = Disabled
- Microsoft Edge Update Service (edgeupdatem) = Disabled
- Windows Search = Disabled
- Windows Update = Disabled
- Configure the following settings in the Group Policy console (gpedit.msc):
Computer Configuration > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Store:
- Turn off Automatic Download and install of updates = Enabled
- Disable all apps from the MS Store = Enabled
- Turn off the Store application = Enabled
Computer Configuration > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates:
- Configure Automatic Updates = Disabled
- Disable the following tasks in Task Scheduler > Task Scheduler Library:
- MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineCore = Disabled
- MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineUA = Disabled
- OneDrive Reporting Task = Disabled
- OneDrive Standalone Update Task = Disabled
- Disable the following in Task Manager > Startup tab:
- Microsoft OneDrive = Disabled
- Windows Security notifications = Disabled
Shut down the system and take a snapshot at this point as your clean state.
Restore to this state in the future to apply Windows updates.
Start the system and install the latest versions of Turbo Studio and Turbo Client from https://turbo.net/download.
Launch Turbo Studio and enter your license for building applications.
If your VM hypervisor can take online snapshots, take a snapshot at this point as your clean capture state. If your VM hypervisor cannot take online snapshots, shutdown the system and take a snapshot.
Restore to this state in order to capture each application.